These are deliciously amazing. The best ginger cookie by far, the freshly grated ginger, with chocolate rounds out the spicy flavour with a nice smooth chocolaty touch. These are the perfect holiday cookie!
CHEWY CHOCOLATE GINGER BREAD // makes 2 dozen
7 oz semi sweet choco chips in 1⁄4 chunks
1 1⁄2 cup + 1 tbsp all purp. flour
1 1⁄4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp nutmeg
1⁄4 ground clove
1 tbsp unsweetened coco powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1⁄2 cup packed dark brown suger
1⁄4 cup unsulfured molasses
1 tsp baking soda
*an optional splash of vanilla
granulated sugar for rolling in
1. Line baking sheets with parchment.
2. Sift together flour, spices, and cocoa.
3. Beat butter and grated ginger until whitened (4 min). Add brown sugar. Add molasses.
4. Dissolve soda in 1 1⁄2 tsp boiling water. Mix in half flour mix to butter mix. Add soda. Add last half of flour mix. Stir in choco chips.
5. Turn onto plastic wrap, pat into 1” disc. Refrigerate until firm (2 ish hours)
6. Heat oven to 325F. Roll into 1 1⁄2 inch balls 2 inches apart. Refrigerate 20 min. Roll in sugar. Bake until cracks, 10-12 min.